Tuesday, 4 March 2014

Jersey Dress

So, my lovely Mum is rather camera shy, so you'll have to make do with my mannequin!

But I'm very pleased to share my Project #2

Tribal Print Jersey Dress!


Tribal Print Jersey Dress
* Bound 'V' Neck
* Short Sleeves
* Shaped Waist Seam
* Gathered Skirt

I cannot tell you how happy I am with this!


The fabric was from eBay, and worked out at £5 p/metre which isn't too bad. It's definitely worth having a browse on there for fabrics, as there are some really interesting prints & designs. It's not ideal not being able to see/touch the fabric for quality before you buy, but  most sellers I viewed did do a swatch service. You've just got to get in there quick if there isn't much left! I have my eye on a superhero comic book print jersey! Perhaps something for a future project...!

 I matched the pattern as best I could through the skirt and the bodice; but due to the size of the repeat a complete colour match would have taken double the length of fabric with a lot of wastage. I decided to match the tribal shapes as opposed to colour, also making sure the diamond shapes sat central to the 'V' at the neck & waist


My best achievement on this is the bound neckline, as I don't have a binding machine as they use in industry I had to due this myself by stitching/pressing/turning/pressing/stitching the binding into place!
This worked really easily on my toile (garment mock up) but for some reason the tribal print jersey was a lot more 'springy' and wouldn't stay in place when I pressed it... so out came the tacking! Haven't done that in a while!


I also had to finish the hems off with a single row of stitching instead of coverstitching them as I don't have a coverstitcher! I looked... they're expensive... a girl can dream! 

(Coverstitching being the double row of stitches you see on garments made of stretch fabrics!)

Luckily my machine has a zigzag stitch so this should have enough give to not snap the threads. I've also now invested in a double needle for my sewing machine so will be trying that out on future jersey garments to achieve the same look.


I gathered the skirt by using a large running stitch and then pulling the thread by hand  until it gathered to the right waist size before overlocking it onto the bodice. I was originally going to do this by machine (there's a fancy setting on my overlocker!) but the gathers were too loose and I couldn't get the right measurements.

Apart from a few standard sewing mishaps, i.e spilling my box of pins (every time!) & the bobbin running out halfway through the hem (nearly every time!), everything went smoothly and the dress was put together in under 2 hours! Result! 

Let me know what you think or if you have any hints/tips for next time

My Mum loves it, so I have a happy customer & quite a lot of fabric left over!


Em x