Tuesday, 7 October 2014

BuzzFeed & Derek Ridgers - 70s/80s London Punk Scene

This link jumped up at me yesterday via my Facebook feed.

This BuzzFeed page shows 17 vintage photos by British photgrapher Derek Ridgers of the London punk scene during the 1970s & 80s.




This link comes at the perfect time as I've actually been listening to the greatest hits of 'The Clash' for the past few weeks! Apart from the obvious classics ("London Calling" & "Rock the Kazbah") I had never listened to much of The Clash & I actually quite like them!



My other half told me he had heard somewhere that "...the Sex Pistols make you want to bang your head against a wall... The Clash will give you a reason too!". 

For me, the word 'punk' epitomises an angry, rebellious nature, but I can remember hearing punk music for the first time a being surprised how the sound wasn't as loud and angry as I had expected, unlike other genres of music - rap or metal/screamo (obviously there are variations in sound from band to band etc), but the lyrics expressed that feeling instead.


I would love to have been around to see the emergence of the British punk scene, but I'm not sure I would have been outlandish enough to be part of it! I think my tastes would have lied firmly in the mod look, which was also another massive subculture that fused music & fashion.

There's a brilliant series on BBC at the moment called "Oh! You Pretty Things!", that looks into the influence music and fashion have always held over each other, and have so far mentioned touched on mod & punk. I seem to be watching them in the wrong order on catchup but they are definitely worth checking out!

If you're interested you can buy 'The Clash Hits Back' here:


Or see more of Derek Ridgers work at his website below


Em x