Sunday, 7 December 2014

Wedding Ties

I was asked a while ago by a friend of mine if I would make the ties & pockets squares for her wedding. Feeling very flattered at being asked, I of course said yes! So I set about my task making three ties and three pocket squares for the groom & his best men.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but places to buy fabric where I live are scarce. My local market is a good place to head for basic fabrics such as printed cottons & satins and also haberdashery items, but luckily my little old faithful shop in the next town had a few fabrics that would fit in with my friend's colour scheme, meaning I didn't have to jump on the next train to London!

I took cuttings of five fabrics to present as options for the ties, and in the end we went for a Satin-Backed Dupion in this beautiful blue colour. This is such a gorgeous fabric, catches the light well without being too shiney, has a subtle texture to it and is easy to work with (although it can fray quite a lot if you're not careful!)   




I've made ties quite a few times, so they didn't take me long to make at all. I set myself the task of cutting the ties out once I'd got home after work so I could sit down one Saturday and plough through the actual making of them!



Thankfully no disasters occured and I'm so happy with the finished products!

This is such a beautiful fabric, I love that dupion fabrics have these imperfections (slubs) running through them, these are caused by varying the tightness of the twist of the yarn a different points. It gives a lovely subtle texture which makes the fabric more interesting.


I still haven't invested in a new camera, but luckily my Mum kindly loans me her fancy camera so I can get some decent pictures! I always find photographing my projects is a bit of a mission and very much a 'Blue Peter' operation! Normally involving me pinning or draping fabric about various items of furniture whilst trying to figure out what all the buttons on the camera do!

I think the photos came out brilliantly and the ties look very dapper & professional... 

...even if I do say so myself!
    


The wedding isn't until next year, but I can't wait to see the boys all dressed up in these!

...And to see my friends get married of course!

Em x