Saturday, 17 January 2015

Oscar Nominations 2015 - Best Costume

The nominees for the 87th Academy Awards were released this week, and of course my mind goes straight to the award for 'Best Costume Design'. I confess that out of all the films nominated, I have only seen Maleficent so my opinion is slightly biased... but let's get straight to it!

The 2015 nominees are as follows:

The Grand Budapest Hotel
Milena Canonero


This looks hilarious, I can't believe I haven't seen this!

It's costume designer, Milena Canonero was the lady responsible for the film Marie Antoinette starring Kirsten Dunst, which won her the 2007 Oscar for Best Costume Design. As soon as I watched this trailer I thought of her! I love the overall look of this film, the sugary colours gel together so well and compliment the stronger tones used in other parts of the costumes & sets.

Inherent Vice
Mark Bridges


I don't even remember hearing about this film coming out!

**Note to self: Keep on top of new movie releases as you used to do!**

Brilliant 1970s styling in this. I think sometimes when people think of 'Costume Design' their brains automatically go to huge elaborate feats of design, as in Lord of the Rings, Cinderella, or Les Miserable, but sometimes over look the productions set in more modern eras. Films like this one or American Hustle, show how much detail is involved in each eras style.

Into the Woods
Colleen Atwood


Well this has Colleen Atwood written all over it!

She is so ridiculously talented and created such beautiful stories with her costumes.  **idol**
How amazing is the big shouldered dress Meryl Streep is wearing?! Stong contender but I think for me Maleficent has the edge over this in terms of interpreting fairytales into something slick & modern.

Maleficent
Anna B. Sheppard & Jane Clive


I cannot begin to tell you how much I LOVE the costumes in this film!

Maleficent is such an iconic character, to be able to develop her into a stylish modern day twist must have been quite a task. But even the details in the armour and the fairies costumes are beautiful. My favourite costume in the film is near the end (don't worry no spoilers here!) when Angelina Jolie is wearing a pvc catsuit... doesn't sound too impressive but I can't describe everything else that goes with that costume without spoiling the plot! This film gets my vote so I really hope Anna B. Shppard & Jane Clive go home with the oscar!


Mr Turner
Jacqueline Clive


Another brilliantly designed Victorian-set picture. When I interned at a costume house, I learnt just how hard it can be to create period costumes that are suitable for the era they are meant to be in without them coming across 'stale' or 'frumpy'. I do not doubt the work that has gone into designing this picture, the costumes sit easily in the scenes and don't distract from the story (going by the trailer of course!), but for me it's not as visually stimulating in terms of design as the other films that have been nominated.

So there you have all the films nominated in the Costume Design category at this year's oscars. My pick would be for Maleficent to take home the award, but I think The Grand Budpest Hotel is also a strong contender.

I will be making a pinterest board for costumes from all the nominated films at the below link, so have a look there in a couple of days.


Who do you think should take home the award? Let me know below

And finally... may the best designer win!

Em x

Take a look at all category nominations here: