Thursday, 28 May 2015

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty

I can't believe how quickly May has gone, it whizzed by! In a matter of days it'll be June which I personally think is the 'official' start of Summer, June/July/August will always be summer to me... even with our weird British weather! But anyway, I jam packed the last bank holiday weekend for a while with lots of fun things, one of those things being a visit to the V&A Museum in London to see their exhibition, Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty.

"Celebrating the extraordinary creative talent of one of the most innovative designers of recent times, Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty is the first and largest retrospective of McQueen's work to be presented in Europe."
- V&A

I'd booked the tickets for this ages ago and to be honest I'd forgotten about it until a week or so before, but oh was it worth the visit. The exhibition itself is huge, and took myself and my Mum just over 2hrs to get round! And yes, as always I left with the exhibition book!


To be honest with you, the first display you see of some early McQueen isn't 'all that'. Let me clarify, I say that in the loosest sense as it's still McQueen and the clothes are still great, but just wait until you get round that first corner... you're in for a treat!


Room after room, display after display of beautiful, strange, detailed clothes by Alexander McQueen.

Honestly? It blew my mind. 

I wanted to touch everything, open the jackets and see how they were made, what they were made of, what fastenings they had, and more often than not, how you would actually get inside and wear that!


I've always been a fan of McQueen, seeing his work in Vogue and various books I read whilst at uni, I remember being genuinely sad when I heard the news of his death. I love his work mainly due to the theatricality of it all. His clothes are stunning and dramatic. I have also always admired the tailoring aspect McQueen brought to his work, having started out his training on Savile Row. The panelling details on some of the jackets were incredible. I also love the way McQueen was inspired by the dark and twisted, a lot of his work as a very gothic element to it, it's not all about being pure and fair.


 This exhibition collates not only beautiful garments, but the amazing hats, headpieces, shoes and accessories used in McQueen catwalk shows and editorials. There are some very interesting pieces! Some of the shoes were especially impressive, particularly some that looked like they were made of bones. Turns out, they were 3D printed for McQueen! Amazing!


But out of everything I saw, I still now cannot choose a favourite outfit, garment or accessory. There was too much to take in, my poor brain was overloaded with creative-ness!

If you haven't been to this exhibition yet and are still 'umming' and 'ahhing' over it... STOP!
This is only on at the V&A until 2nd August so just go right now and book your tickets! 
I promise you won't be disappointed, it truly is a beautiful, dramatic and inspiring exhibition.
Click here to see if there are any tickets left.


Savage Beauty really did showcase some amazing McQueen pieces, and celebrate the talent of an amazing intriguing designer. So for the next few weeks I will be curling up in bed at night with my big McQueen book, reading about his journey and creative process, and soaking up as much inspiration as I can!


If you're not already bored of my statements of love for McQueen, go check out my Pinterest board for lots of gorgeous McQueen images here

Enjoy!

Em x

**Images from the book 'Alexander McQueen' by V&A Publishing**