Tuesday, 21 July 2015

Sunday Sewing

So despite the amount of time I spent playing around on my shiny new laptop (read about that here) I ended up having a pretty productive Sunday at the weekend. A friend of mine had asked me to alter the length of two dresses she owned. The dresses spent most of their lives at the back of her wardrobe, only getting occasional summer outings as the lengths were just that little bit on the short side.

We all have those dresses and skirts, you know, the lovely pretty ones you don't realise are a bit inappropriate to wear to work until you forget to bend your knees when getting something off the floor and flash the entire workplace your very large/small/average sized knickers!

So here are the dresses pre-alteration...


As there was no excess fabric in the dress hems or dresses themselves to use we decided to put a band of fabric the the bottom of each dress to give that extra length. I've done this on some of my own clothes and it's a great way to give yourself a bit of extra coverage if you want/need it, but also to give any clothes a bit of a revamp. My friend picked out colours from the print she thought would look nice and off I went on a fabric source. For this project I was looking for a light blue or pink for the feather print, and a dusky rose, deep maroon or grey colour for the floral print.



I honestly thought I was going to have the hardest time trying to match that dark maroon colour but my trusty fabric shop had the perfect match! It turned out finding a light pink or blue was harder!`


I ended up finishing the edges of the two bands in slightly different ways.
I could find any thread in a close enough match to the pink fabric so instead of overlocking the seams in an off white/pink I pressed the seam allowances under and stitched them to themselves. 
A nice little technique for finishing seams there if you don't have or can't get to an overlocker!
I also gave this one a roll hem.


I somehow already had thread that matched the maroon fabric well (who would've predicted that!?) so I overlocked all edges for this band and gave it a pinstitch hem.

Simple yet effective!


Some snipping of threads and an extra press later...



And... Ta Dahh!!


Can't believe how well the colours match the dresses, and they are definately far more suitable to be wearing in the office now! Haha!

As these alterations are pretty easy and quick to do I was thinking about writing up a little 'How to' guide on lengthening dresses & skirts. I know a lot of people who would probably get rid of clothes that were too short for them rather than alter them. What do you think?

Hope you like the job I did on the dresses :)

Happy Sewing!

Em x