Tuesday, 19 January 2016

Happy New Year - Terminator Style!

So, apparently yesterday was 'the most depressing day of the year', also known as 'Blue Monday'. Not sure how much I actually read into that, but in the spirit of trying to cheer up this cold, grey January I thought it was time to write up a post on my New Years Eve outfit. Perhaps a little bit late, but I had so much fun it that night it really makes me smile thinking about it!

So every year, the Ginge hosts a new years eve party at his house, normally with a fancy dress theme. The themes have definitely varied, and people put in as much or as little effort into their costumes as they want. Some people don't dress up, but it's all part of the fun and I'm always game for a good fancy dress opportunity!

Some of my past outfits have included


Minions
(Movie Theme - I'm the one on the right)


A Flamingo
(Animal Theme)


Jill Masterson from 'Goldfinger'
(James Bond Theme)


Gamora from 'Guardians of the Galaxy'
(ComicCon Theme)

This wasn't actually a new years party but a party just the same! And yeah the green paint took more than one shower to get off properly! The costumes never end up looking anything like that by the end of the night, too many drinks spilt and too much dancing, but it's fun while it lasts!

The theme for this year's party was 'Sci Fi'. "Great choice!" we thought, until we'd left it pretty late to design or make anything extravagant! Oops! So the Ginge and I racked our brains and came up with.... Terminators! Yep, The Terminator from that classic 80s movie where Arnold Schwarzenegger is the robot killing machine sent back in time to kill Jon Connor... and a female version! Pretty easy to do clothes wise, just dark trousers & top/leather jacket/sunglasses/toy gun. Unfortunately some of my costume wasn't delivered on time so I couldn't be 'T-X' from Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines but just a generic female Terminator instead!

The only hard thing was going to be the makeup, which was left to me!  I did a bit of research online, and decided that a half face of makeup would be better than a full one. This was one of the images I liked the best.



There are more cool images I found on Pinterest (check out my board here). I also found this great tutorial on YouTube by Ashlea Henson which I followed to create our makeup.


As party host, the Ginge was up first.


Then me...

I started by putting my normal base of makeup on (foundation/concealer etc) then did my eye makeup on one side of my face that wasn't going to have the face paint on. I followed the techniques from the video above for the other side of my face.


Our finished makeup



And in full costume...


My apologies now, you'll have to make do with these fuzzy mirror selfies of my costume as by the time I'd finished getting ready people had already arrived at the party! Must plan in time for photos next time!


I think I did a pretty good job a the face painting, I'd love to get some latex or wax next for moulding ripped skin next time. The party was great fun and the face paint lasted longer than expected - my eye  bag was significantly darker on one side than the other in the morning!

Hope you all had a great new years too!
Any costumes or face painting you wanna share, let me know :)

Em x