Saturday, 11 June 2016

Where I become a poster designer

It was one of those nights last night when you finally get home from a very uninspiring day at work wanting to make the most of your Friday night but you're so tired all you want to do is go to bed.
My job relies heavily on the use of Adobe Illustrator and occasionally Photoshop so I basically stare at a screen from 9-5 everyday (as with most people's jobs nowadays!). So normally the last thing I want to do when I get home is get straight back on the laptop. But that is exactly what I did last night. I postponed my plans to immediately get into bed when I got in and got to work on the poster I had promised to make Ginge for a gig he is putting on in our local area. 

As per usual Ginge was very vague in what he wanted for this poster so my brief consisted of "Err.. I dunno... a beer bottle maybe. But not all of it" and the gig details scribbled down on an envelope! After a bit of research (Pinterest, obvs!), I got to work. 

I was taught the basics of the Illustrator whilst at university, and got more used to it in my previous job, but the majority of my skills are self taught. I subscribe to the "What happens if I click this" and "I'll google it" working practice! At work I mainly use Illustrator to create flat working drawings of garments, and using fills to show fabrics and colours etc, so while I have a good working knowledge of the programme there is so much more that it can be used for! I would love to go on an Illustrator & Photoshop course to improve my skills, but for now there are loads of tutorials online you can dip in and out of depending what you are trying to create. 

The poster took me a couple of hours to create from scratch and I'm pretty damn pleased with the results!


I looked through a couple of online tutorials on how to create the beer bottle and matched that with a bit of creative license. Despite being super tired I got really into this project and loved creating something on Illustrator that had absolutely NOTHING to do with my job!

So there we have my rock 'n' roll Friday night!

Hopefully this gig goes well and there are more events I can test my poster-designing skills out on
But for now, if you're in the local area, feel free to pop down and have a drink & a dance with us... see the poster for details! Haha!

Em x